||West of Baltimore Applique Quilt
Each block is 16” square, finished.
The finished quilt is a Queen-size, 82” x 82”.
This pattern is suitable for Block of the Month classes and experienced appliquers.
Blocks 1-12 will make up the quilt, and pattern #13 has the border inset patterns and the instructions for completing the quilt. This quilt was made using a raw-edge fusible machine appliqué technique. The instructions for that technique is included in the pattern envelope, but you can use any appliqué technique that you feel comfortable with.
What You Will Need for Most Blocks
One 17” piece of background fabric
A variety of small fabric pieces, or scraps, to use for flowers, stems and leaves
What You Will Need to Complete the Whole Quilt
• Background fabric for blocks and border pieces – 8 yards
** Please note: if you use a solid Black background as in the cover photo, purchase all of your fabric at the same time and from the same bolt. We have learned from sad expereience that dye lots can differ even within the same company. Do not skimp on background fabric.**
• 3 – 6 greens for stem and leaves, 3/8 yards of each
• 1/4 yard cuts of a nice variety of fabrics for flowers and birds:
Pinks, yellows, orange, blues, purples, reds -- light to dark
I recommend 3-4 of each color so you have a nice variety – you’re creating a garden, so you don’t want it to be monotone.
• 4 fat quarters for each of the vases
• 1 fat quarter of a brown fabric for the border baskets and scrap pieces of a couple of other browns for the tree, acorns, etc.
• 7 3/4 yards of backing fabric
• 1 yard of binding
• Batting: I recommend Hobbs Heirloom 80% cotton/20%poly
• Thread for appliqué: Black if you’re using black for the background. If you are using a light or print background, match your threads to your appliqué fabric.
• Embroidery thread for a few of the blocks that require embroidery
• 5 yards of Fusible web: Wonder Under or Steam a Seam LITE (Do not use any other fusible web, and do not use Steam a Seam II, which is tacky on both sides.)
For Successful Machine Applique, You Will Need the Following Supplies
• An open-toe darning foot for your sewing machine
• Schmetz Sharps needles, 90/14 or 80/12
• A Self-threading hand sewing needle
• Spray starch for stabilizing your background fabric
• Blanket stitch, blindhem stitch –or- zigzag stitch on your sewing machine